We always love when Emily Tulloh, owner of Nashville’s favorite lingerie boutique Beloved Intimates, puts together a guest blog post for us! Thank you Emily for sharing the rules of summer dressing with lingerie and how to show off our beautiful lingerie!
Showing off your bra this summer: The Do’s & The Do Not’s
1. DO make sure the bra fits. Nothing will distract from (and ruin) your look quicker than an ill-fitting undergarment. Make sure that everything is in place and covered where it should be. By the way, this is a true statement whether you are showing off your bra or not.
2. DO pick the right occasion. While baring your underpinnings has held on as a huge fashion trend for several seasons now, there is definitely a time and a place to do it. Consider it off limits at the workplace and I wouldn’t opt to try it out when meeting the in-laws for the first time either. Oh, and maybe cancel out church on Sunday as a good option as well. But really, as long as it is done right, this trend can be a tasteful, fun & edgy way to show off all of those lovely bras you’ve been collecting.
3. DO make sure it looks intentional. You don’t want people staring at you thinking “Oh my gosh, should I tell that poor girl her bra is showing?” Be confident & show enough to make it look like a cute fashion statement, not like you forgot to take a glance in the mirror before leaving the house. Well-coordinated undergarments can add a lot to an outfit, allowing you to standout and look put together at the same time.
4. Do match your bra to your top. This creates a more sophisticated and surprisingly pulled together outfit. Go a step further and create a completely monochromatic look. By sticking to one color, you automatically look polished and it is a more subtle way to make a statement with your lovelies.
5. Do expose a little trim. It isn’t always about the back and the sides of the bra. Try wearing a fuller cup lace trimmed bra under a lower cut top. It is ultra feminine and unexpected.
6. DO NOT wear your bra as a top. While you may read or see contradictory statements, I do stick to my guns on this one. While I see countless celebs running around in bra “tops,” I don’t think it is an easy look to pull off and seldom looks as good in practice as it does on Pinterest, on the cover of Elle, etc. So unless you are at Coachella or Bonnaroo, throw a top on!
7. DO NOT go with a nude bra. Showing off your lingerie is about making a statement, adding a bit of femininity and style to an outfit. A nude bra does not accomplish these objectives. The color itself screams utilitarian & basic. Seeing any part of a nude bra comes across as accidental or lazy, so stock up on a few pretty pieces that you can bare with confidence.
8. Do NOT wear a light bra under a dark top. This always looks like an accident, especially if it is a nude or white bra under black. Reserve your pretty light colored bras for similarly colored clothing items.
9. DO wear a dark bra under a light top. Wearing black under Ivory or white has become a classic pairing. It looks intentional and chic when done right. Consider wearing a black balconette bra under a semi-sheer blouse or a black bra with interesting straps under a white t-shirt or sweater.
10. DO NOT do sheer under sheer. It’s just too much and leaves you teetering on the edge of scandalous. When your nipples are visible (or might as well be), the edgy style that you should be exuding comes across as tacky & inappropriate. I don’t know what this girl is smiling about.
Check out Beloved’s Pinterest board “Let it Show” to get lots of ideas for layering your lingerie all year. There are so many practical and easy ways to show off your pretty bras!
Leave a Reply