The office holiday party is different from the ornament swap or a cozy gathering with friends. The office party means supervisors, coworkers, and their spouses (whom we may be meeting for the first time), so it includes an added formal element that is sometimes more difficult to navigate when it comes to what to wear.
But do not fret! Looking professional and having fun with your outfit are not mutually exclusive. Interesting textures, pleated fabrics, and classy body coverage are a winning combo to take best dressed at the office. Our stylist Katey Preston has some great ideas to achieving this look.
For a classic monochromatic holiday look, pair this fun pencil skirt in blush with a cozy sweater in the same shade. Pair with some sparkle jewelry or metallic footwear for a holiday cocktail party!
1. Eyelash Fringe Pencil Skirt in Pink by Banana Republic
2. Goodyear Welt Oxford in Rose Gold by Banana Republic
3. Merino Double-Cuff Crew in Blush by Banana Republic
FIT AND FLARE
I have fallen completely head over heels in love with this fit-and-flare style for skirts paired with bell sleeves. It will have you looking like you belong in a Ralph Lauren ad.
1. Metallic Jacquard Midi Skirt in Black/Gold by Eliza J from Nordstrom
2. Corlina Ankle Strap Sandal in Black Leather (left) by Vince Camuto from Nordstrom
3. Bell Sleeve Sweater in Black by Eliza J from Nordstrom
I love the accordion pleats on the skirt of this dress, and the high neck keeps it work appropriate. Balance the metallic shine with a matte-finish heel, such as velvet or suede.
1. Shimmer Chiffon Pleated Dress in Toasted Pistachio by Ann Taylor
2. Elaine Velvet Mary Jane Pumps in Serena Pink by Ann Taylor
I first fell in love with this jumpsuit in the wine color, but sadly the sizes are going fast. But you can’t beat how classy the black version looks–wowza!
1. Elinda Strapless Jumpsuit in Black by Greylin from Anthropologie
2. Elinda Strapless Jumpsuit in Wine by Greylin from Anthropologie
3. Belinda Clutch in Slate by Anthropologie
And if you love the idea of a jumpsuit but not really a strapless kind of a gal for a work party, this floral lace one may be more your speed. That v-neck was made for a statement necklace or earrings.
1. Ava Contrast Lace Jumpsuit in Black by Karen Kane from Belk
2. Take a Shine Statement Stud Earrings in Gold by Kate Spade from Nordstrom
3. Crystal and Paillette Fabric Necklace in Black by J. Crew